Business Insider published this vertical bar chart of beer prices in the NBA. The data is incredibly simple, yet they made the chart unnecessarily hard to read.
Some of the problems I see with this chart include:
- The vertical bars should be horizontal, which would make them easier to read and compare.
- The bars are sorted backwards. The topic is high beer prices, so the highest prices should be first.
- This chart requires you to turn your head sideways to read it. When you mentally turn your head, suddenly the chart goes from right to left, instead of left to right. Bars are easier to compare when left aligned vs. right aligned because that’s how we read.
- Redesign the chart, factoring in the problems I’ve noted
- Make the chart a bit more fun
- Determine if there’s a relationship between what teams charge and their revenue, franchise value, etc.